Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Calm Before the Storm

Dry sheets in the morning usually set the tone of my attitude for the day. There's just something about having to change sheets on bunk beds every. single. day. that brings a person down. Don't believe me? Try it! So, yeah, the morning was pretty uneventful.  I got everyone dressed and ready to leave the house to go to a Bible study with some friends.  Yay, I got to take another shower today! :)  Then in a mad dash to get out the door I realized that my youngest had managed to get her shoes off and was working on her shirt.  Why is it that when you are ready to walk out the door that everything falls apart? 

So, I managed to find her shoes and we successfully made it out the door.  Did I mention how long it takes to get children to actually get into the car, then climb into their carseats, then buckle them up?  Before you have children no one warns you of these kinds of things!! Add an extra 10 minutes onto every trip you take just to get them loaded and unloaded in  and out of the car.   All you childless people out there, you can thank me later for that little tidbit of information.

So, the rest of the day was actually pretty uneventful. Unless you count the moment of sheer panic when one my friend's little boys disappeared right before our eyes at McDonald's.  I was about to run out to the parking lot to find him because he was nowhere to be found in the restuarant, until one of the workers came walking out of the kitchen with him.  Seriously that kid was fast!!! We blinked our eyes and he was already back there probably trying to bum a french fry from one of the cooks.

Did I say the rest of the day was pretty uneventful? Scratch that.  Kensley has learned to change her own diapers. I figured this out when she brought me her removed messy diaper and said, "Mommy, I change my diaper. I stink!"   Yeah, I know it's time to potty train and we're working on it, but when you have carpet throughout your house somehow potty training looks a lot less enticing.  There's just something about pee-stained carpet that turns me off to the whole potty training thing.

Amazingly, a burned out heating element in your hot water heater changes the dynamic of bath time.  Kids who would spend hours soaking in hot water are more easily removed when the water is hardly even lukewarm.  Unfortunately, the "warm bath makes baby sleepy" adage isn't true when the water is barely warm because my kids are still wide awake after an hour of playing in their beds. 

Did I just hear a body fall from the top bunk? No, there's no crying so I guess not.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Another dose of reality.

2 comments: